[GTALUG] Mini PC for Home Office?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:55:42 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-01 05:34 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Now that the Raspberry Pi 2 is even capable of running Windows

Note that that's the text-only Windows 10 IoT edition. Text-only Windows
would be … VMS, I guess.

> (and promises to run Linux. XBMC etc even faster), I wonder if it
> might be enough for your needs.

The original Raspberry Pi was laughable as a desktop, but I just set up
a Raspberry Pi 2* yesterday, and it's not half bad. Browsing is pretty
snappy, and LibreOffice — though by no means fast — was usable. It
doesn't feel like a small machine. I'm definitely considering recycling
my old ThinkPad R51 (1.4 GHz Pentium-M, 1.5 GB RAM), as the Raspberry Pi
2 seems faster than it ever could be. No x86 compatibility, though, but
I don't really need it.

cheers,
 Stewart

*: Canada Robotix up on Denison had them. They'll be sold out by now.