[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Sun Mar 1 02:46:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:15:13PM -0500, James Knott wrote

> Does it not even allow DHCP?  If not then that is a really crappy
> piece of hardware.

  No.  I have an ancient HDHR-US model.  Looking back at my archived
emails, I figure that I got it sometime around June 2010.  The output
from "get help" is...

Supported configuration options:
/lineup/location <countrycode>:<postcode>
/sys/copyright
/sys/debug
/sys/features
/sys/hwmodel
/sys/model
/sys/restart <resource>
/sys/version
/tuner<n>/channel <modulation>:<freq|ch>
/tuner<n>/channelmap <channelmap>
/tuner<n>/debug
/tuner<n>/lockkey
/tuner<n>/program <program number>
/tuner<n>/streaminfo
/tuner<n>/status

  According to the manufacturer's site, the latest models support a lot
more stuff, including...

... which allows to get/set ipaddress, or work as a dhcp client.

> As mentioned, the setup you were running violates the IPv4 link
> local RFC, so I doubt iproute2 will ever support it.

  Interesting.  I'll keep going with over-riding the iproute2 default
and force ifconfig, as the network-utility stack.  By the time ifconfig
support is deprecated in Gentoo, I'll probably be looking at getting a
new tuner, rather than another NIC.

  Thanks for the info anyways.  Now I can stop pounding my head against
the brick wall.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>