[GTALUG] war story: irq 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Tue Jun 30 11:37:08 UTC 2015

Paul King wrote:
>  Reminds me of an old UNIX joke on one of the older systems:
>
> $ cat "door: paws too slippery"
>   cat: cannot open door: paws too slippery

The usual telling is:

   $ cat "food in tin cans"
   cat: cannot open food in tin cans

> On 30 Jun 2015 at 0:13, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> > I moved my CentOS 6.6 system to new hardware (just moved the disk and
> > booted).  Things mostly worked but I'd get told of a kernel oops at
> > roughly each boot.
> >
> > Reason:
> > irq 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

Last evening a Raspberry Pi told me:

  [    2.230037] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
  [    2.242458] Indeed it is in host mode hprt0 = 00021501

which is an interesting phrasing I hadn't seen from a kernel before.

--
Anthony de Boer