[GTALUG] war story: irq 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jun 30 04:13:20 UTC 2015

I moved my CentOS 6.6 system to new hardware (just moved the disk and
booted).  Things mostly worked but I'd get told of a kernel oops at
roughly each boot.

Reason:
irq 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

There was not enough diagnostic informtion to report a bug using ABRT (so
it told me).

>From googling, I picked up a suggestion to tell the BIOS to set the SATA
controller to AHCI mode rather than IDE.  My BIOS only gave me a choice of
IDE or RAID.  With trepidation, I set it to RAID and all has been well.
Even with only one disk.

<http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1103298>

The hardware is an old Dell Inspiron 530s desktop.