[GTALUG] Request for printer recommendations

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Fri Jun 26 19:09:17 UTC 2015

On 15-06-25 02:52 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 02:23:23PM -0400, phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca wrote:
>> I'm using Linux Mint with a Brother HL-2170 monochrome printer and a
>> Brother MFC-9125CN on a home network. The 9125 scanner works from
>> SimpleScan.
>
> I have Brother HL-2170W (wireless), with "HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS"
> driver.  I think OP's problem is more of "driver" issue, because it
> works with Slackware and CUPS.

I have a Brother printer/scanner too ( MFC-J6510 ). I'll admit it works
well, when the drivers are installed properly.

Unfortunately the drivers have to be downloaded as a script from the
manufacturer, and I've found it a little buggy, requiring some tweaking
after the fact to get it all working. For a newbie I'd probably
recommend something else. Not sure what though, I haven't installed any
other printer drivers recently.