[GTALUG] [offtopic] Global telenetworking

Mike mike.kallies at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:29:17 UTC 2015

On 26/06/2015 8:37 AM, Brent Kimberley wrote:
> If timed properly (following housing, food, water, sewage, medical,
> internal governance, mail) such initiatives might reduce internal crime,
> vandalism, ā€ˇconflict, etc and provide the entire camp with opportunities
> and hope.

Lumping these problems with food, water and basic essentials risk making
the problem unmanageably complex.  I expect given Evan's background,
he's focusing on the areas where he can make the most impact.

There are people who are talented contractors who would normally be
knowledge workers outside the camp, who's skills aren't being used and
risk irrelevance while they're stuck there.

Evan, does that sum up your target audience for this?

If I were looking for info on this, I would seriously consider doing
some lightning talks in the European FOSS and hacker conference
circuits.  Lots of European hackers play with the digital nomad
lifestyle and might be able to help.  It's hard to know how it would be
received.  I would expect that you're likely to get a lot of good names
and good volunteers, some who may have lived through the experience.
The Chaos Camp is on this year near Berlin.  Let me know if you head out
there, I might be in the neighbourhood :-)

Another spot to ask might be Telcom Sans Frontieres, they may have
people who have insight into local talent during crisis.  I expect you
probably already bent their ears though.  I have a friend who may have
contacts there.

Other than the above $.02, I'm clueless on the subject.

Mike