[GTALUG] Request for printer recommendations

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jun 26 07:18:39 UTC 2015

Generally, I buy by brand since the model numbers change so much. Within
brands, I try to find sources (such as Consumer Reports) that measure
objective criteria such as cost-per-page and sharpness.

I have never gone wrong with Brother or HP. HP support for Linux is more
full-featured <http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html>, especially
if you can use an Internet connection rather than USB, but it occasionally
contains closed-source bits for some cheaper models. Brother support is
more vanilla but pretty solid.

I have heard from associates having success with Samsung printers under
Linux but have no first hand experience.

On the other side are brands to avoid, that are indifferent at best to
Linux and hostile at worst. These are Canon and Lexmark.

On 26 June 2015 at 04:43, Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-06-25 10:11 PM, phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca wrote:
> >
> > I gave it away and bought the Brother printers I'm using now. They seem
> > work fine.
>
> Another plus for the Brother laser printers is that *most* of them have
> a reliable duplex unit, so you can print double sided without grief.
>
> cheers,
>  Stewart

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH