[GTALUG] Request for printer recommendations

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Thu Jun 25 18:05:57 UTC 2015

On 25/06/15 01:58 PM, Malgosia Askanas wrote:
> I am a new and green Ubuntu laptop owner in the GTA, and am wondering if you
> could recommend a b/w laser printer (preferably USB-wired) that would work
> smoothly with Ubuntu.  As I discovered, my Lexmark E232 (that works beautifully
> with my Macs) is not (at all) Ubuntu-liked...

The Free Software Foundation's H-Node has a database of compatible hardware (not
sure how up-to-date it is with current models):
https://h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en

The Linux Foundation has a printer listing database too:
https://www.openprinting.org/printers/

ThinkPenguin sells a few as well (though they only ship to the US):
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux

I usually see what's available in store, and then cross-reference with those
databases. Though after some frustration with my last purchase (HP LaserJet
P1005), I might go in the reverse direction next time and pick a fully
compatible (and non-tracking) printer from h-node and then see if I can buy it
online...

HTH