[GTALUG] [offtopic] Global telenetworking

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Jun 24 16:03:39 UTC 2015

On 24 June 2015 at 17:44, Brent Kimberley <Brent.Kimberley at durham.ca> wrote:

 You said that you were looking for people to hire teleworkers situated in
> refugee camps who were bound to their locations.

​Not so much bound, but unable to legally work outside the settlement. Some
refugee environments have more hospitable hosts than others.​

>  For starters, how does this scheme prevent refoulment?‎ (ie The return
> of a refugee to their persecutors.)

​The "scheme" is primarily a training and Internet-access program designed
to equip people to make a living in what is often a hostile environment.​
One of the options in the most-hostile areas -- when local work simply
isn't available -- is telework. At this point I am exploring the most
suitable skills for those seeking that path, as well as the companies
willing to hire/contract people with such skills.

​The UNHCR takes
refugee security​
very seriously; in fact it considers itself primarily a protection agency
first,
​ ​
a livelihood-finding org
​third (after education)​
.
​And refoulment is high on the list of concerns. ​
Everything I am doing is vetted by the internal protection unit with
exactly
​such issues​
 in mind.
​ The program I am involved with has already implemented a number of
security measures (mainly in the realm of privacy protection) along these
lines, supervised ​by people far better versed in the subject than I. Other
issues that are addressed include protection against gender-based violence
in environments where education (and Internet access) for women can put
them (and the education/computer centres) at risk. All this and more is
being addressed and guides all that we do.

This may not completely address your question, but it's as good as I can
get -- I'm not sure I can do anything utterly risk-free, but doing nothing
is worse.

Cheers,
Evan