[GTALUG] [offtopic] Global telenetworking

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:41:37 UTC 2015

<snip>

>> ‎Refugees are at risk of being "the face of modern slavery".
>

> ​Hi Brent,
>
> Please explain what you mean, and how at all it relates to my question.
Meanwhile, I include my day-job .sig below, so you might better understand
the context. I am looking for livelihoods, not exploitation -- and
certainly not sloganeering.

Concerns about modern slavery aren't sloganeering, they are real and they
may begin by offering the most impoverished among us Pyrrhic employment. It
looks good on paper but in fact there is no fair contract.

Remember when one of your partners in Starnix called me a welfare bum on
this list. This was after I had requested a fair contract and nobody would
talk to me about it. You guys recruited me from my volunteering with CLUE.
Offered me a job and when I sought fairness through due process here in
Canada, you terminated me.

It took me five years to get T4 documents after both the ministry of labor
and revenue decided I was an employee for the duration of my employment.
Starnix still owes me one T4 and a separation certificate but I didn't have
the mental health resources to bang my head against that wall for another
five years.

So my data point is; what is going to stop similar harassment and abuse of
dominance of other similar at risk workers in the global telecommuting
environment?

Respectfully,
R. Russell Reiter