[GTALUG] Looking for cell phone... which brand?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 17 15:34:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:23:56AM -0400, Mike wrote:
> I have an unlocked Bold 9700 doing nothing which I can give you for
> free.  If you're in a hurry and have a similar phone, you might be
> able to backup your phone and restore it onto the 9700, saving you
> lots of hassle.  No warranty or support, I'll just wipe it and make
> sure it's not password protected.
>
> IMHO, you're much better off going to a Nexus something, or even to
> a modern BB10 or iPhone.  This is only worth it if you're short on
> time and don't want to deal with switching over right now.

My wife has a nxeus 5.  I have tried using it a few times, and honestly
I hate touch screen keyboards, I have how android tries to be helpful
when you don't want it to, and I hate how inconsistent it is in where
you have to go to do things.  I also hate how slow it is to respond to
the 'click' to take pictures with the camera, once you even find how to
get to the stupid camara app.  This is a large part of why I do NOT have
an android phone myself.

I tried out a few of the blackberrys at a rogers store to see what
tehy were like to work with, and was instantly a lot more impressed
than any android device I have ever dealt with.  It is just so much
more consistent.  And it doesn't try to second guess what you want to do.

I do not appreciate being redirected to the gmail app if I start a
browser and go to gmail.com.  I especially don't appreciate having to
add my account to do a quick email check on an android device, and then
having to figure out that to remove the account again you have to go to
account management, not to where you added the account in the first place.
@#$@#$ morons designed this thing.

--
Len Sorensen