[GTALUG] Looking for cell phone... which brand?

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Wed Jun 17 12:01:18 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 12:09 AM, William Park wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My BlackBerry is dying.  So, I'm looking to buy a cheap cell phone out
> right for Rogers network.  I don't care about locked, unlocked, Android,
> Windows, etc, because my usage is 95% text and 5% voice.
>
> Which brand do you recommend?  CanadaComputers has BLU phones (Android).
> Microsoft Stores has them too.  Any feedback on these BLU phones?

You might consider the Nexus 5.  If you've been with Rogers for a while,
you may be able to get one for free.  Back in late 2013, just after the
N5 was released, I was able to get one for $100.  At the moment, they're
"free" with some plans.  So, give Rogers a call and tell them you've
been with them for however long you've been with them and tell them you
want to upgrade.  You may wind up with a free phone, without having to
take out a new plan.  However, it would also be a good time to compare
your current plan with whatever they're offering.  They might be able to
offer a cheaper one etc.

I could have got another phone for free, but I wanted the N5 and am
quite happy with it.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_Detailed=NEXUS5BLK