[GTALUG] Clean Ubuntu Install Tips

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Fri Jun 12 07:11:56 UTC 2015

On 11/06/15 06:51 PM, Stephen wrote:
> I have been running Ubuntu for over a decade. Always did Internet upgrades.
>
> But the last one, to 12.04 broke my PHP and the only solution I have found is to do a clean install.

I'm with the others -- the problem should be fixable. I've dealt with some messy
upgrade problems at times, but I've *never* had to do a clean install. A problem
with one package should be fixable, even if the fix is tricky...

> [...] I think a few of you might be able to offer a tips.
>
> The system will be a desktop and also a LAMP server. I plan to install the desktop and then add the AMP.
>
> I will back up the databases using mysqldump, save the Apache .conf files as well as fstab.
>
> Anything else I should consider? Thanks

For what it's worth on backups...

- I'm a fan of automysqlbackup (in the Ubuntu and Debian repositories) for MySQL
backups, which is a wrapper script for mysqldump that compresses, rotates, saves
daily/weekly/monthly versions, notifies on error, etc.

- For filesystem backups, rsnapshot is pretty great for incremental, versioned
backups

Other packages I often install on a clean Ubuntu/Debian server:
- logwatch: log analyser
- fail2ban: ban hosts that cause multiple authentication errors
- munin: gathers graphs for performance monitoring