[GTALUG] Clean Ubuntu Install Tips

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Fri Jun 12 00:48:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:51:37 -0400
Stephen <stephen-d at rogers.com> wrote:

> I have been running Ubuntu for over a decade. Always did Internet upgrades.
>
> But the last one, to 12.04 broke my PHP and the only solution I have
> found is to do a clean install.
>
> I have /home on a separate drive so I expect that this is not a big
> deal. But I think a few of you might be able to offer a tips.
>
> The system will be a desktop and also a LAMP server. I plan to install
> the desktop and then add the AMP.
>
> I will back up the databases using mysqldump, save the Apache .conf
> files as well as fstab.
>
> Anything else I should consider? Thanks
>
> --
> Stephen

Stephen,

   This is how I upgrade my Fedora machines. Everything on /home stays intact because I don't reformat it.  I can switch to Ubuntu if I want.  I don't have application data on my root partition.  If I did, I would back it up regularly, and before doing a re-install.  My /etc directory is backed up weekly, automatically.

   I document my install procedure.  I post this on my website to encourage other Linux users, but my original purpose was to be able to it again, later.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
howard.gibson at teledyneoptech.com