[GTALUG] Clean Ubuntu Install Tips

Clifford Ilkay clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Jun 11 23:13:03 UTC 2015

On 11/06/15 06:51 PM, Stephen wrote:
> I have been running Ubuntu for over a decade. Always did Internet
> upgrades.
>
> But the last one, to 12.04 broke my PHP and the only solution I have
> found is to do a clean install.
>
> I have /home on a separate drive so I expect that this is not a big
> deal. But I think a few of you might be able to offer a tips.
>
> The system will be a desktop and also a LAMP server. I plan to install
> the desktop and then add the AMP.
>
> I will back up the databases using mysqldump, save the Apache .conf
> files as well as fstab.
>
> Anything else I should consider? Thanks

You could use a configuration management system to declare what the
final state of the machine should be once you've finished. I've been
learning SaltStack <http://docs.saltstack.com> over the last couple of
days and I'm quite impressed. I'm using a masterless minion setup due to
the fact that the machines that I'm deploying are intended to run behind
a firewall with no access to the Internet. Here is a resource I found
useful:
<http://eon01.com/blog/using-saltstack-to-automate-vagrant-provisioning/>.
You don't have to use Vagrant but you might want to once you see how
easy it is to go from deploying your VM locally on VirtualBox to
deploying to an Amazon EC2 instance, for example.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696