[GTALUG] Fedora 22 Live Workstation Install - no fglrx - no pdftk

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:10:16 UTC 2015

On 7/31/15, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
>
> | On 7/31/15, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | > On Fri, 31 Jul 2015, Russell Reiter wrote:
> | >
> | <snip>
> | > I think you mean "six sigma".
> |
> | Umm. Six sigma is a corporate SAP construct.
>
> SAP?  They were not the well-known heros of the movement.

SAP as Standard Applied in Protocol existed long before the german
business SAP co-opted  the acronym in the 70's.

> | Put forward by Motorola
> | if I recall correctly.
>
> Seems to be the case.
>
> | A sic sigma table is one written, sic erat
> | scriptum, thus it was written.

I just checked I got it wrong. Literally "thus was it written"

Wikipedia does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

> How does sigma relate to scriptum?  One is Greek and the other Latin,
> for example.
> |
> | The rafter tables on my framing square were referred to as sic sigma.
> | It's a set of tables by which oblique and other angles which which are
> | used to join wooden members in a hip and valley roof may be
> | calculated.
>
> Interesting.  I found no google hits on this usage.

You'd probably have to use a more advanced search to display the
contents of old carpentry manuals. For example scanned copies in the
Guttenberg project.  I got this information as SOP training in my
workplaces.

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure. In hip and valley framing you have
to be able to calculate the deviation from one member to another.
Can't afford to waste expensive lumber by cutting a piece too short to
be useful.

There's lots of esoteric building knowledge for which the procedures
are still maintained but the origins are clouded in masonic handshakes
and the like. Now dormers come pre-fab and carpenters use a little
tool called a speed square. Not many today can read and understand the
tables. I could't today without a refresher, haven't swung a hammer
for enterprise for 20 or more years. Even then stuff was more often
coming pre-fab from the factory's than not.

It was my Grandfather who taught me how to sharpen a plane and a saw
in the 60's. I was 13 and thats how he related to me, as a young man
who needed these essential skills.

It's interesting to note that the current platform framing method we
use to build house was implemented in order to create temporary
manufacturing communities which were closer to the sources of natural
resources. This was during the second world war. These houses are easy
to put up and easy to take down. Ostensibly in order to repristinate
the wild after the resources were extracted.

I just checked the etymology of another tool to see if the old
carpenters who trained me and loaned me their books to read got it
right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumb_bob

Etymology
The "plumb" in "plumb-bob" comes from the fact that such tools were
originally made of lead (Latin plumbum, French plomb). The adjective
"plumb" developed by extension, as did the noun "aplomb", from the
notion of "standing upright".

Dedicated craftspeople like to talk about their craft and impart their
esoteric knowledge to younger people. Of course you have to show
interest and listen well.

> Of course now there will be: this list is visible to google.

I'm sure google learns more and more each day that passes. I sure do.