[GTALUG] Fwd: Linux Distros available in Toronto

Mike el.fontanero at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:21:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin at ve3syb.ca> wrote:

> On 15-07-27 02:29 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/15 12:27 PM, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
>>
>>> We got this email on our general mailing list. Does anyone know where
>>> you can purchase Linux DVDs in Toronto.
>>>

>> Despite the question being obsolete... What about a book store?
>>

> The first version of Linux I ever got my hands on was Yggdrasil Linux. I
> bought it at the UofT bookstore in the fall of 1994. It was the first and
> last time I have been to that bookstore. I'm not avoiding the place. I just
> haven't found myself in the area again.
>
> With so many distros available for download on line I wouldn't expect
> (m)any stores to carry Linux CDs/DVDs for sale. Most are out-of-date in six
> months time when the next release is made available.

Well, if this is going to be *that* kind of party...  +1!
I selected that same Yggdrasil distro at the same time. I recall doing an
eenie meenie miney moe between that and that BSD package right next to it
:-) I recall being impressed at there being almost 1.3G of software on a
<700M CD-ROM.

I've recently been trying to boot Yggdrasil under KVM-qemu - yes, for
nostalgic purposes. Not trivial - the lack of an ISA bus is my first
problem. EISA even...

Cheers,
Mike