[GTALUG] Fedora 22 Live Workstation Install - no fglrx - no pdftk

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 17:01:22 UTC 2015

<snip previous housekeeping>

> (Any hardware that relies on software to do just the right thing to
> manage temperature is doomed to fail).

I agree with this but I did once cool a laptop with a bag of frozen
peas, at least until I got power management sorted out, so I'm kind of
willing to try just about anything.

I just posted a bit of an update and question on where to sourcing
cooling stuff. I use to overclock quite a bit, mostly before the
jumper free days, so to find that the bios defaults to auto in
overclocking, makes me wonder about the effectiveness of the default
settings.

I was literally blowing cold air from my AC right into it at one
point, but after the firmware update and graphics tweaks, I put the
unit back in place and so far so good.

The little copper headers on the heat sinc kill me, I can't believe
they transfer heat better that just blowing air across the fins.

Russell