[GTALUG] Fwd: Linux Distros available in Toronto

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:58:04 UTC 2015

This is a business area that has died, for fairly good reason.

At one time, Internet bandwidth was rather more precious, as you were most
likely accessing it via using a modem and your telephone land line.  (Some
of our younger members may not remember back that far!!)

And so it made sense that businesses could make a viable business out of
mastering CDs for Linux distributions and selling thousands of copies that
would be salable for a year or two, saving usage of expensive/scarce
Internet connections.  I recall InfoMagic with their 10 CD set (with
several distributions), LinuxMall, and there being various others, that
came about in the mid-1990s, selling all manner of Linux distribution CDs.
They started disappearing in about 2001-2002.

Internet connectivity has gotten so vastly much cheaper and more available
that this business model became uneconomic.

I suggest asking what distribution the original poster is interested in,
and seeing if someone can burn a DVD and bring it to the next meeting?
That would be what *would* work, today.