[GTALUG] XFCE on regular Red Hat

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sun Jul 26 21:46:08 UTC 2015

On 07/26/2015 01:54 AM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Friday, July 24 2015, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>
>> For a long time, I've been using the Fedora XFCE spin, but wanted to
>> build a new for-work dev machine and got RHEL 7.2, so I would have a
>> supported version to host recent tools on.
> I think you meant RHEL-7.1, right?  RHEL-7.2 has not been released yet.
The download page said 7.1, but I included uname -a in the message, as
it had said something else...
$ uname -a
Linux miles 3.10.0-229.7.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 15 21:38:46 EDT
2015 x86_64 x86_64 x

>> Fedora is fun, but tends to lag in app versions while being at the
>> bleeding edge in kernel versions, which is fine for a toy machine, but
>> the inverse of what I want for a machine to make money with..
>> 86_64 GNU/Linux
> Out of curiosity, why do you say that Fedora "tends to lag in app
> version"?  The Linux kernel and the GNU toolchain are well maintained
> and up-to-date; popular desktop programs as well, at least in my
> experience.

At the time it's cut Fedora is up to date, but their stated policy is to
not spend much time updating until the next release is cut. I'm
constrained to use specific recent versions of Eclipse, Java and Scala
for work, and I couldn't even get the previous (Luna) version of Eclipse
until a kind chap created a custom repo of it for Fedora.  Current
release is Eclipse Mars, which installs without any pain on RHEL
workstation. As you would expect.

>> Alas, RHEL 7.2  seems to be much *more* broken than Fedora fc 21
>> Yum can't even do a groupinstall,
> Do you mean yum does not recognize the "groupinstall" command at all?
> As you have mentioned below, yum actually *can* do a groupinstall
> without problems.

No, I said *other folks* with earlier RHEL 7s could do a groupinstall: I get
$ sudo yum groupinstall Xfce
[sudo] password for davecb:
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, subscription-manager
Warning: group Xfce does not exist.
No packages in any requested group available to install or update

Various other people reported this as well, and have suggested workarounds.

--dave