[GTALUG] XFCE on regular Red Hat

Marcelo Cavalcante kalibslack at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:43:49 UTC 2015

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 18:41:13 -0400
> David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> For a long time, I've been using the Fedora XFCE spin, but wanted to
>> build a new for-work dev machine and got RHEL 7.2, so I would have a
>> supported version to host recent tools on.
>>
>> Fedora is fun, but tends to lag in app versions while being at the
>> bleeding edge in kernel versions, which is fine for a toy machine, but
>> the inverse of what I want for a machine to make money with..
>> 86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Alas, RHEL 7.2  seems to be much *more* broken than Fedora fc 21
>> Yum can't even do a groupinstall, and half the required packages for
>> xfce are in neither the Red Hat nor the EPEL repositories.
>> Building XFCE from scratch exposes even more missing dependencies
>>
>> This seems odd, as many people with slightly earlier 7.X releases did
>> $ sudo yum install epel-release
>> $ sudo yum groupinstall "X Window system"
>> $ sudo yum groupinstall xfce
>> and were done.
>>
>> Is this just a bad release, or has RH been degrading while I was using
>> something else?
>> Should I downgrade to 6? Use KDE? Switch to a different distro?
>>
>> What are you folks using for prod?
>>
>> --dave
>> $uname -a
>> Linux miles 3.10.0-229.7.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 15 21:38:46 EDT
>> 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x

What I would do on Red Hat 6.5 (never tried on Red Hat 7.x):

# wget http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

# rpm -ivh epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

# yum -y groupinstall Xfce

# yum -y install xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 xorg-x11-fonts-misc

Also, tried in a Centos 7 (perhaps would work on Red Hat 7.x

# wget http://archive.linux.duke.edu/pub/epel//7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-2.noarch.rpm

# rpm -ivh epel-release-7.2.noarch.rpm

# yum -y groupinstall Xfce

# yum -y install xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 xorg-x11-fonts-mis

Best,