[GTALUG] IDE and tips for working with JavaScript?

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Thu Jul 23 12:50:03 UTC 2015

Caroly Fisher wrote:
> First off, I know not Linux related things go to off topic. I'm not sure if the sender is supposed to direct the topic or not. Sorry if I should be~
>
> I was looking at working on my code again, and decided to try tapping into JavaScript. I'll need a simple IDE (that will of course run on Linux, but most of them do so meh). I've minimal experience with JavaScript, and coding as a whole. My currently favored IDE is Brackets. It's been great so far, and works with JavaScript. Of course, not being familiar with JS, I'm not sure how well it works with JavaScript.
>
> Any tips on a similar IDE that may be more compatible with JavaScript and just tips in general about starting with JS would be of great help. I apologize if the question is too vague.

Bracket's is more of a text editor than an IDE. If you are looking for a
more traditional IDE (ala Eclipse, Visual Basics, etc.) take a look
WebStorm[1] (a proprietary IDE) or Eclipse's WebTools[2] (huge Java
application).

If you are doing web based stuff you should checkout Codepen[3] or
Scratchpad[4] in Firefox Developer[5]. They are really great for trying
out ideas and playing around.

[1]: <https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/>
[2]: <http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/>
[3]: <http://codepen.io/>