[GTALUG] Problems with Samba After Upgrade to 14.04

Stephen stephen-d at rogers.com
Thu Jul 16 12:56:28 UTC 2015

Background

I was using 12.04 for a long time and never experienced these problems.

I have a separate partition on which I back up my photography files from
my Windows machine. I have ownership of the partition and Others have
Create and Delete access.

On the partition I have a folder "photography". Using a right click in
Nautilus I shared the folder, allowed others to create and delete files,
and allowed guests access. When I created the share I told Nautilus to
apply these settings to files in the folder.

Problem 1) I can access the shared photography directory and copy files
to it. I cannot navigate to a nested folder. I get access denied. This
is new with 14.04. How can I share the entire tree?

Problem 2) When I copy files from Windows to Ubuntu, they are created
with an owner of "Nobody". WTF??? Worse, when I delete, as root, the
files are no longer visible, but they still take up space!

/var/lib/samba/usershares/photography has:

#VERSION 2
path=/big0/photography
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F