[GTALUG] Europass docs and LibreOffice

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 15 21:11:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 08:30:43AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 2015-07-15 08:07 AM, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> > Editing odt in MS Word is a Known Bad Thing (;-))
>
> Though it did produce this spluttering piece of hilarity from an MS
> booster:
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2008-macword/can-word-open-a-odt-file/0b76ee36-a236-4a45-ace4-b145a5b2026f?auth=1
>
> Yes, OOXML is an ISO standard, but ODF is too, and earlier, and doesn't
> have weird "even we don't know what this does" settings.
>
> For this reason, I keep a Win8.1 VM around (cheapo but legit licences
> can be had) and a $100 annual subscription to Office. Yeah, it's an MS
> tax, but if I need to read Track Changes documents exactly as they're
> supposed to be, it's worth it. Once a document has touched Word, I
> consider it irrevocably 'down converted', to use an old SGML term.

The nutcase in that link seems to be under the mistaken impression that
OOXML replaced ODT as a standard.  This is of course not at all how
standards work.  All it did was add another standard to pick from.

All making OOXML an ISO standard actually did was make the ISO standard
process no longer have any respect what so ever given clearly the process
is now a joke that cab be bought.

--
Len Sorensen