[GTALUG] HP printers [Request for printer recommendations]

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:04:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dee:
> >
> > Sorry - - - scanning is quite useful for me and I sure would like a
> > way to make it work connected to my Linux box!
> >
> > Haven't had much luck so far.
>
> Hmm, hadn't realized you were still stuck.
>
> In your /etc/sane.d/ folder, there should be a .conf file for your
> scanner. Mine is different from yours, but the relevant lines look like
> this (from epson2.conf):
>
>  # Detect all devices supported by the backend.
>  # If you don't have a SCSI device, you can comment out the "scsi"
>  # keyword.  Similarly for the other keywords.
>  #
>  usb
>  scsi
>  net 192.168.2.68
>
> You need to set the 'net' entry to the IP address of your scanner.
> (You can ping your printer, yes? I mean, if it's not even seen on the
> network, you have to address this first. You're also using an x86 or
> x86_64 Linux box, yes? Scanner binary support for ARM is mostly no go,
> so Raspberry Pis are right out.)
>
> For good measure, I have $SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE set to:
>
>  epson2:net:192.168.2.68
>
> Your scanner might use the brscan or brscan2 driver, so you'll be
> looking for something like /etc/sane.d/brscan*conf. Also, your scanner
> backend needs to be listed in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf for sane to find it.
>
> The 'sane-find-scanner' tool may not find your scanner, but with me,
> xsane does. With that environment variable set, you can then do
> something like this:
>
>  scanimage > blort.pbm
>
> to scan the page at 75 dpi, b&w.
>
> If all of that doesn't work, you may have to resort to scanning to a
> network share. I think that the MFC-J6510DW shares its memory card using
> CIFS. Stick an SD in the scanner, browse your network, and see what you
> find.
>
> This latter option is by no means bad: I've used it to scan thousands of
> pages of bank statements and other receipts. You don't get a tonne of
> control over the scan format, but it's quick.
>
> If even all this fails, it's telephone support, I'm afraid. It's so much
> cheaper to provide this than e-mail support, and that's why Brother are
> so keen on it.
>
> I did the scanning I needed to do to a memory card which works but its not
the way I like to do things (needed to email the files to myself and then
organize and then send on to the recipient).

Tried Brother email support. For Linux is only to point you to the tools
and then its your baby and the number of people that they have for Linux
support is very small so its also very very slow to get what help does
exist. I found the support basically non-existent even though they would
differ. The also have no telephone or chat support for *nix its only email
support and for complex problems that's a really awkward way of doing
things!

Also don't really have a formal network set up at present. I have been
recommended to use set up a ftp server and clients but my main box is also
out for R n R as I seem to have let out some magic smoke from one of the
hard drives.

This means that any changes are when I get my system back but will try
then. This information looks very very useful and I thank you very much for
your assistance!

Regards

Dee