[GTALUG] Uh-oh. Command not found

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Tue Jul 7 17:59:04 UTC 2015

On 15-07-06 09:50 PM, phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca wrote:
> So, to my colleagues in TLUG, I ask: How would you deal with the
> re-location of /bin, assuming you didn't want to re-install?

If you knew where /bin wound up I would just move it back. If it said it
can't find 'mv' I could type /path/to/bin/mv to move the wandering /bin back
to its normal home. If that failed I always keep bootable Linux discs on
hand. I have a CD case that holds 6 discs and it has the last couple of
versions of the Linux live/install DVD's I've used along with some other
useful discs such as tomsrtbt.

I just completed updating my system from Linux Mint 17 (32-bit) to Linux
Mint 17.2 (64-bit). My /home is in a separate partition and I have four 20G
partitions that I use as root partitions. One of the four is the current
system root, another is a backup of root from the last time I was about to
do an update/upgrade of the distro and the other 2 can be used to try out
other Linux distros (if I have the time and/or interest to try something
different).

The separate /home meant that my user account wasn't affected. After the
install was complete I just logged in to my user account as always and got
back to work. Well, after the usual need to sort out a minor issue or three
which one often has to do after a fresh install.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.