[GTALUG] Uh-oh. Command not found

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Tue Jul 7 17:40:06 UTC 2015

>> So, to my colleagues in TLUG, I ask: How would you deal with the
>> re-location of /bin, assuming you didn't want to re-install?
>
> PATH=$PATH:/path/to/bin
>
>     Or:
>
> mv /path/to/bin /

In the heat of the moment, I thought of PATH as something one changes by
editing configuration files, but yeah, you can simply type in a new one.
Good to remember.

I also didn't realize that some commands are built into the shell, so some
things remain possible even if bin isn't reachable.

I know it's not the Unix Way, but an 'undo' button would be nice for these
situations.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto