[GTALUG] Uh-oh. Command not found

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jul 7 16:08:54 UTC 2015

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>

| In theory it should be the program's problem: you're a loyal user
| who's been using their product for a while, the program should
| recognize and convert/update from previous formats.

I've worried about the same problem.  And a variant: sometimes I have
several distros on the same machine and I'd love to share /home.  I
don't do it because I don't trust it to work.

I even worry about sharing /home between different releases of the
same distro.  Going forward seems to mostly work.  I don't know about
going backward.

I wish that the . files were it some place other than ~.  Or that
there was some other solution.

Some of my . files are universal, for all systems (eg. .joverc).
Others are specific, often in ways I don't even understand.  For
example, what's .dbus? .cache?  What's in .gnome2 and .gnome2_private?

$PATH says how to search for executables.  Perhaps we need something
like that for searching for . files (ending with /etc/skel?).