[GTALUG] Uh-oh. Command not found

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:20:09 UTC 2015

On 7 July 2015 at 11:07, Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 July 2015 at 22:19, Chris F.A. Johnson <chris at cfajohnson.com> wrote:
>>    If you keep /home on a separate partition, you wouldn't have this
>> problem.
>
> Something I've wondered about doing this:
> /home doesn't only contain data files created by the user. There are
> also many hidden files created by the system and programs, usually in
> the root of the user's home directory. For example: .config and
> .gconf.
>
> If one were to install a new distribution, or even just a newer
> release of the same distribution, and then simply re-mount the /home
> partition afterwards, might not there possibly be some problems with
> these hidden files containing incorrect information? Do most programs
> that create these files sort things out for themselves?

In theory it should be the program's problem: you're a loyal user
who's been using their product for a while, the program should
recognize and convert/update from previous formats.

In practice it's hit-and-miss: one of my favourite window managers,
wmii, breaks its old ~/.wmii/... file formats every couple years and I
have to wipe them, learn the new format, and re-configure.  It sucks.
It depends on the program.  I remember having to do it once long ago
(like a decade) with KDE, but mostly the big names play nice these
days.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/