[GTALUG] HP printers [Request for printer recommendations]

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Tue Jul 7 12:25:36 UTC 2015

o1bigtenor wrote:
> On 7/6/15, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 11:09:51AM -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> >> So, I'll bite, what do you use for scanning?
> >
> > Well I pretty much never have any reason to scan anything, and they are
> > setup to send scans to your email account on an exchange server.
>
> Sorry - - - scanning is quite useful for me and I sure would like a
> way to make it work connected to my Linux box!

Something that uses standard IETF-ish protocols over a network is
more likely to work than something that expects to do something
proprietary directly to a Windows box or Mac.

I've got a Brother MFC set up to drop scans (PDF or JPG) into a Samba
share on my fileserver, so that's quite compatible.

And I've looked at a big Canon printer very much like the one Lennart
has, and it seemed to use SMTP and LDAP, but someone would have to run
out of better things to do before poking at that.

--
Anthony de Boer