[GTALUG] war story: keyboard failure leads to sustained mayhem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 6 02:59:56 UTC 2015

This story could be told in order of discovery.  That would be more fun.
But I'm going to explain it as plainly as possible to make it more useful.

I have a KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse) that lets four computers share
one keyboard, display, and mouse.

Unbeknownst to me, the keyboard started generating a rapid stream of ESC [
D (back arrow) sequences.  I'm not sure whether it is all the time or just
some of the time.

The next time I booted one of the computers, it seemed to fail to find its
hard drives.  It was more than a decade old, so rather than fixing it, I
replaced it.  I now think that a continuous stream of backarrow keys
confused the BIOS (or the RAID card BIOS) when the machine was booting.
But at that time, it seemed to be a simple case of old hardware wearing
out.

Another computer had different symptoms, but again showed disk problems.
When I did disk diagnostics, I was puzzled by the results: no problem.

Eventually, I found the keyboard problem and have thrown the keyboard
away.  I have no idea how long it had been misbehaving.

Lessons re-learned:

- symptoms don't always point clearly to the disease.

- conclusions should remain provisional

- it's amazing how long you can overlook a stuck keyboard key

- apparently I really only use the KVM for booting; it would be
  nice if PCs had been designed to be happy headless