[GTALUG] Living in Virtual Machines

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel at circuidipity.com
Thu Jul 2 19:28:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Advantages:
> - I get to tinker with multiple OSes (something I enjoy)
> - if I'm about to go to a dubious website, I can clone a virtual
> machine, use it for the dubious visit, then destroy it
>
> Disadvantages that I've thought of so far:
> - memory usage
> - speed reduction
> - hard drive usage for disk images
> - complexity
> - mounting USB sticks on guests is extremely problematic
> - playing sound/video from guests through the host is imperfect
> - hard to determine where an application is running from

It doesn't address all your proposed scenarios but you might want to check
out LXC containers for generating lightweight virtual machines... I have
just started messing around with it and found these links to be interesting:

* https://wiki.debian.org/LXC

* https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/getting-started/

* https://www.stgraber.org/2013/12/20/lxc-1-0-blog-post-series/

* https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxc.html