[GTALUG] accessing smtp server with weak dh encryption?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Thu Jul 2 02:54:59 UTC 2015

On 30/06/15 10:32 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> [...] I don't understand U of T's email systems.  I connect to the Department
> of Computer Science servers sometimes.  I think that they are run by DCS.
> There was a big fight last year or so in which the university outsourced
> email to google (I think; horrible for privacy).  Are you talking to a
> departmental server or a university-wide server?
>
> In any case, they should be easily shamed into upgrading.

DCS runs their own systems for CS students, and occasionally for engineers:
http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/

This is very different and totally separate from the general systems that U of T
runs. About 4 or 5 years back, U of T deprecated their only UTORmail system,
which they ran internally, for "UTMail+", which is Microsoft. They were forcing
people to migrate, first students, then clubs, not sure if/when staff accounts
were forced over.

On 2015-06-30 2:17pm, Matt Price wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's any way to instruct postfix (or is it maybe
> openssl) to violate protocol and permit me to interact with this server? I
> know there are security risks but I'm kind of screwed if I can't send out
> mail.

I use the UTMail+ IMAP/SMTP servers with no problem from Icedove/Thunderbird...
and I've been doing this for a decade, through the transition from UTORmail to
UTMail+... though I've never tried from Postfix.

With UTMail+, my SMTP server is pod51008.outlook.com (or something like that).
With UTORmail, it was smtp.utoronto.ca or something with extra numbers. (I never
used CDF SMTP... I just had my CDF account forward mail to my UTORmail account...)

I guess it would help to know what system (or SMTP server) in particular you're
using?