[GTALUG] The story of computing

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jan 31 19:07:42 UTC 2015

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>

| | From: Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com>
|
| | http://gu.com/p/45ba6
|
| I recommend NOT shortening URLs in a mailing list.  Some of us like
| to know where we're going before we follow a link.

I want to appologize to Thomas for this.

It turns out that gu.com is The (formerly Manchester) Guardian's site.
It just looked like a shortened URL.  Of course that's a problem in
itself, but it's the Guardian's fault.

If you go to gu.com, you get to http://www.theguardian.com/uk
If you go to http://www.theguardian.com/uk/p/45ba6, you get a 404.
What a mess.
(If you go to www.theguardian.co.uk, you get to
http://www.theguardian.com/uk; I would have expected the reverse.)

Perhaps similarly, tgam.ca is a shortening service provided for and by
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

(I always thought that the Guardian was the top UK "quality" newspaper.
Its website's front page seems pretty fluffy.)