[GTALUG] The story of computing

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 31 17:08:52 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-31 10:38 AM, Thomas Milne wrote:
>>> It's such an dangerous thing to do if you think at it from security
> perspective. I usually just don't bother clicking on it
<snip>
> Nope. I was not even using a web browser. This is the problem. You are all
> making assumptions that are invalid. Read it or don't, I couldn't care less
> about people's paranoid fears.

That's just inconsiderate. It only takes an extra second or two to copy
a link - no one's time is that important that they can't be bothered to
copy/paste a full URL.

I saw your post and just deleted it based on the link. Providing a
little context would go a long way toward helping engage your audience,
which I assume was your intent given the time spent even posting to the
list.

To understand why shortened links without context are an issue, take a
look at this Google generated short URL to CSIS's site:
http://goo.gl/GO9PkW

If I were malicious and posted a link to a less *cough* reputable site,
then I could potentially do all sorts of nasty things to anyone who
opened it.

Cheers, Jamon