[GTALUG] The story of computing

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 03:16:27 UTC 2015

On 30 January 2015 at 22:10, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi at gmail.com> wrote:

> | From: Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com>
>
> | http://gu.com/p/45ba6
>
> I recommend NOT shortening URLs in a mailing list. Some of us like
> to know where we're going before we follow a link.
>
> +1
>
> It's such an dangerous thing to do if you think at it from security perspective. I usually just don't bother clicking on it

When clicked on, the URL expands to
http://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2015/jan/30/computing-universe-science-weekly-podcast
.  Which is probably the URL you were looking at in your browser.
Rather than copying the URL they provide (I assume the provided the
gu.com URL with a sign saying "copy this!"), use what's in the
location bar of your browser, as I'm inclined to agree with William
and Hugh: I like to know where I'm going.  I default to all JavaScript
and cross-site scripting turned off - and I _still_ want to know my
target address.  :-)

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/