[GTALUG] we should use openstreetmap

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:15:06 UTC 2015

On 13 January 2015 at 08:03, Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:
> While the OSM database structure is capable of doing routing, it's not
> hosted on the main server. OSM runs on a tiny budget.

> Sheesh; picky-picky. There are a few street view sites associated with
> OSM; http://openstreetview.org/ is the first I found.

Great, that's really going to help those who are looking for how to
get to GTALUG meetings, which I believe is the reason that a map link
is included on the web site.

> No pictures? Add 'em. You have a phone camera and no excuse.

I don't have a camera in my phone
<http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-phones/nokia-3155i-rock-box/>
Plus, if I have to travel to my destination to take pictures of
landmarks, to make it easier to find my way there, what's the point?

Again, I propose that links to both Google Maps and OSM be included.
Let the user decide if they want a pure open source experience, and/or
perhaps a more useful one. The more information, the better.

--
Scott