[GTALUG] Why can't I do a Debian netinstall of unstable or testing?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 19:48:21 UTC 2015

On Dec 8, 2014 10:35 AM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 08:17:55PM +0000, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > I'm using Unetbootin to do a netinstall of Debian.
> >
> > It says there are no compatible kernel modules on any of the mirrors
when I
> > try anything but Stable.
>
> To install testing or unstable you have to use the development version
> of the net installer.
>
> > Obviously I know I can just install Stable and then do an upgrade, but
> > still.
> >
> > What's up with this?
>
> Go here:
>
> https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> You could try the Beta2 jessie installer, or the weekly snapshot build
> or the daily snapshot build.

I tried out the daily snapshot yesterday and it is AMAZING. The installer
failed a couple of times I think because some mirrors were missing stuff
for LXDE so I just did the default and it finished in 10 minutes.

Jessie is really nice. Everything on the Asus netbook worked perfectly,
wireless, touchpad, and so on. Very very slick release. I can't even
imagine what the advantage there is in choosing Ubuntu anymore.