[GTALUG] Second router as wireless ethernet bridge

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:33:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin at ve3syb.ca> wrote:
> On 15-01-07 07:10 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> A computer in our basement has no wireless, so instead of running a
>> long cable to it, I wanted to put a router beside it and have it
>> connect to that router by ethernet, and then have that router connect
>> to the main one over wireless.
>

> Are you wanting to use a second router because you already had one on hand?
> I would have thought it a lot easier to just pick up another WiFi adapter
> for the machine in the basement.

Of course, yes. Also, this will let me connect a few more devices
should the need ever arise. I keep thinking our home is at the
saturation point for devices, but, you know...

This old Linksys has been very very useful on a number of occasions.
When we go on family trips we sometimes bring the Playstation for
rainy days and I can even access PSN and Netflix on hotel networks
that try and block it.

--
Thomas Milne