[GTALUG] Linksys 1200AC, an inexpensive, open-source 802.11ac Wi-Fi router

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:37:21 UTC 2015

On 8 January 2015 at 01:57, Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com> wrote:
> "The dual 2.4 and 5GHz band AC1200 router is powered by an ARM 1.3GHz
> Dual-Core Processor. This is backed by 128MB of Flash memory, 512MB
> DDR3 RAM. A Belkin product manager said that the memory can be
> upgraded. It also comes with eSATA/USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, four
> Gigabit Ethernet ports and a Gigabit WAN port."
>
> Daaayum
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2015-linksys-1200ac-an-inexpensive-open-source-802-11ac-wi-fi-router/

The 1900AC was a rolling disaster (although this article claims it's
all sorted now, and a look at the OpenWRT documentation seems to
concur): I'd definitely take this with a grain of salt and let someone
else break the ground on it.  Linksys wanted to regain the popularity
they had with the WRT54G, but bungled both the initial release and the
price point.  Let's hope this is better.  And I admit the price is
better, the amount of memory is pretty huge and eSATA/USB3 are a nice
addition.

It's unlikely I'd be buying: I just purchased the previously mentioned
TP-Link - which is available now and known to work (which I like
better than "is promised to work," like the wrt1200ac).

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com