[GTALUG] Second router as wireless ethernet bridge

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 03:11:52 UTC 2015

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

> So 2nd router as as wireless repeater, the channel needs to be different
> or else they would fight with each other. The SSID shouldn't be the same
> as per the article. Most mobile devices supports multiple access point
> profile and they will auto-connect to which ever has greater strength.
>
> I'm pretty sure you are looking at
> http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3810281
>
> "Technically, when in client mode, your router can only pass the
> incoming wireless signal to clients connected to one of the router's LAN
> ports. To re-broadcast the signal wirelessly, the router would need to
> be configured as a repeater—unfortunately, Tomato does not yet support
> repeater mode."

Well that's exactly what I am doing though. The computer WILL be connected
to router 2 by ethernet, as it does not have wireless. If it did, I would
not have this problem.

I do not want a repeater. I want a bridge :-)

That's also why both routers must have same SSID and pass.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-tomato-as-wireless-repeater-sort-of.68322/

> I don't have a tomato so I wouldn't know, but I've tested it with 2
> DD-WRT, 1 in Primary Gateway (DNS+DHCP) and one acting as wireless
> repeater and it works for me.
> On 1/7/2015 9:22 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
> >
> > I don't think you understood what I am trying to do. The routers will
> not be physically connected, only over wireless.
> >
> > On Jan 7, 2015 9:19 PM, <littlebear at xxw.ca <mailto:littlebear at xxw.ca>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     ‎Plug the second router (acting as switch) WAN port to regular
> port. There should be no WAN Ethernet connected on the second router
> >
> >     Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
> >     ‎

Ethernet

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/