[GTALUG] Second router as wireless ethernet bridge

Little Bear littlebear at xxw.ca
Thu Jan 8 02:43:04 UTC 2015

Sorry, wasn't thinking when I typed it. Did you try
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-your-wi-fi-network-with-an-old-router-915783308

So 2nd router as as wireless repeater, the channel needs to be different
or else they would fight with each other. The SSID shouldn't be the same
as per the article. Most mobile devices supports multiple access point
profile and they will auto-connect to which ever has greater strength.

I'm pretty sure you are looking at
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3810281

"Technically, when in client mode, your router can only pass the
incoming wireless signal to clients connected to one of the router's LAN
ports. To re-broadcast the signal wirelessly, the router would need to
be configured as a repeater—unfortunately, Tomato does not yet support
repeater mode."

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-tomato-as-wireless-repeater-sort-of.68322/

I don't have a tomato so I wouldn't know, but I've tested it with 2
DD-WRT, 1 in Primary Gateway (DNS+DHCP) and one acting as wireless
repeater and it works for me.
On 1/7/2015 9:22 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:

> I don't think you understood what I am trying to do. The routers will
not be physically connected, only over wireless.

> On Jan 7, 2015 9:19 PM, <littlebear at xxw.ca <mailto:littlebear at xxw.ca>>
wrote:

>     ‎Plug the second router (acting as switch) WAN port to regular
port. There should be no WAN Ethernet connected on the second router

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/