[GTALUG] Second router as wireless ethernet bridge

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:10:09 UTC 2015

Here's another project I'm working on that is driving me around the bend.

Sorry this is such a long story...

A computer in our basement has no wireless, so instead of running a
long cable to it, I wanted to put a router beside it and have it
connect to that router by ethernet, and then have that router connect
to the main one over wireless. No, I did not plug the computer into
the WAN port... ;-)

I have an old Linksys router WRT54GL v. 1.1 running Tomato 1.28, and
my main router, the Buffalo N600 which has DD-WRT.

According to about a hundred different howto's it should be very simple.

I set the second router to an IP outside the DHCP range of the first,
and set also set it to use the first router as gateway and DNS. I also
set the SSID and password the same, and also the type of security
used. Oh, and obviously I set the second router as 'Wireless Ethernet
Bridge'.

router 1 is 192.168.11.1, router 2 is 192.168.11.2

both have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask

Router 1 gives out addresses starting at 192.168.11.5

Am I correct in assuming that DHCP broadcasts should be relayed by the
second router? In wireless bridge mode it doesn't appear to even have
the option of offering DHCP...

I noticed that the Buffalo will let you set up a virtual interface, so
I tried using that with no security at all.

I also found something here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

that said I should set the second router to operate as a router and
not as a gateway so I changed that.

Still no ping response from google.com :-\

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the firewall settings are
wrong on the second router, running Tomato.

Respond to ICMP is unchecked, Allow Multicast is unchecked, NAT
Loopback is set to Forwarded Only, and Enable SYN cookies is
unchecked.

Help!

--
Thomas Milne