[GTALUG] Anyone on the list know what I need to read ancient Apple disks?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jan 5 04:12:18 UTC 2015

| From: Clifford Ilkay <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com>

| Dave, did you receive my private message? I offered you a G4 PowerMac.

That sounds like the most, uh, powerful option.  There probably would
be no need to reverse engineer MacOS9 applications' expressive but
quirky file structures.

BTW: the resource fork / data fork thing in original MacOS seems odd to
we UNIX-types who think that a file is a bucket of bytes.  But MacOS
got a lot of leverage out of that thing.  "ResEdit" was a wonder to
behold.  Essentially: the greatest common denominator for files in
MacOS was much higher than in UNIX so generic tools could do much
more.

What MacOS could do on a machine with 128k of RAM (including the video
frame buffer) puts all mainstream GUI systems to shame.  Part of this
was accomplished by using shared representations, some of which lived
in the resource fork.

That being said, I wish Linux didn't support forks.  They make the
file abstraction more complicated with very little benefit or use.
The main benefit, as I understand it, is to embrace and extend NTFS.