[GTALUG] Rogers and MTU size

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun Jan 4 19:24:38 UTC 2015

On 01/04/2015 01:54 PM, Scott Allen wrote:
> On 4 January 2015 at 13:51, Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My router says that the address of the gateway that it's connected to
>> is 24.246.95.97. If I ping this address I get:
> I should have mentioned, the ping was from my desktop machine, not the router.

Shouldn't matter.  If you are behind the firewall and it has only 576 to
the Internet, then path MTU discovery will force the firewall to reject
the packet and tell the computer to resize.  You can also use Wireshark
to verify the do not fragment flag is set.  As an experiment, you might
also try setting the MTU to 576 and trying that command again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_Discovery