[GTALUG] Anyone on the list know what I need to read ancient Apple disks?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jan 4 06:40:55 UTC 2015

| From: David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com>

| An elderly relative has a PPC iMac, the so-called "sunflower mac"
| http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Imac_sunflower2.jpg

Nice.

A friend ran and Plan9 on one for years.  He's the one who ported
Plan9 to the Raspberry Pi.

| It eventually died, but the symptoms hinted it wasn't a disk crash.

What did it die of?  I assume that it was terminal (fried mainboard?).

| This apparently came with MacO OS 9.2 and a  60.0 GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive
| (5400 RPM), so what modern machines can read Mac file formats?  I have an
| Ubunutu-based PVR with an ATA interface that's doing the DVD right now, could
| I read it from Linux? My old SPARC read Mac SCSI formats...

(I'm not sure what "doing the DVD right now" means.)

I take it that you don't need to get them up and running again.  If
you did, I would imagine that the most straight-forward method would
be to feed the disk to a modern Mac.  They surely have migration
tools.

I'd try a PATA to USB gizmo because modern Macs don't do PATA.  If you
need to borrow one, I have one.