[GTALUG] Anyone on the list know what I need to read ancient Apple disks?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 3 21:54:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 04:50:49PM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> I'm after pictures and email, and can probably do a trick with
> strings to find JPEGs,  find and grep to find mailboxes and
> addressbooks.

Once you mount the HFS filesystem on linux you can actually get the resource fork too by doing:

ls /hfsmnt/filename
ls /hfsmnt/filename/rsrc

So if you need the resource fork, it can actually be accessed if you
know about the special /rsrc option (so essentially pretend the file is
a directory with a file inside called rsrc).

It won't show in ls that /rsrc exists since afer all the file is a file,
not a directory.

If a file has no resource fork, then you get an error if you try to
access /rsrc.

--
Len Sorensen