[GTALUG] Cubox Dev Platform OS images?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:30:58 UTC 2015

On Jan 1, 2015 11:08 PM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 07:30:23PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > What am I looking at for compiling a kernel like that?
> >
> > For example, I assume I have to have something already installed on
> > the Cubox, no? And it would have to be something newer than the
> > original default Ubuntu I would guess.
>
> I installed the ubuntu image, then I used debootstrap to create a chroot
> with debian, then I transfered that to be the main filesystem on the
> SD card.  The only non debian part at that point is the kernel image
> and modules and the boot loader.
>
> debootstrap is a marvolous thing.

It sounds like it. Wow.

So can I boot into that Debian system and compile a new kernel from inside
that? And do I need to know what options to choose at compile and modules
to load for Cubox hardware or is that automatic?

Pardon my dumb questions. I was reading this, about installing Debian and
compiling a new kernel:

http://www.solid-run.com/archive/mw/index.php/Debian_netboot_installer

I might be in over my head. Those instructions assume that I know how to do
a lot of things that I do not.