[GTALUG] Power Supplies & Video Cards

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 1 17:56:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 12:18:35PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> If memory isn't completely failing me I think I recall Henry Spencer
> once saying to pick them both up and buy the heavier one!

That was true before we got switching power supplies.  These days it is
way more complicated than that.

> (Bigger heatsinks and beefier components certainly don't hurt.  Granted,
> there are a few other factors, including efficiency if you're paying
> for your own power these days and it's for a 24/7 box.)

Wish it was that simple.  These days there are questions of using the
right number of caps for filterting and in the right places and the
right types, and how well distributed the voltage rails are in terms of
current at each voltage.

--
Len Sorensen