[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Sat Feb 28 03:08:24 UTC 2015

  A general reply to everybody telling me I'm doing it wrong...

1) It's WAD (Working As Designed).  I'm doing what the instructions told
   me to do.  YES!!!

2) It's an ancient model, that does not allow setting a static IP address

3) The setup works fine under ifconfig; but not under ip (iproute2).
   Gentoo recently changed to iproute2 as the default networking suite.
   I have to over-ride the default to get it working again.

4) A change of the default is usually a precursor to eventually getting
   rid of support for the old default alltogether.  I want to get it
   working under ip (iproute2) before Gentoo dumps support for ifconfig.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>